Hempstead Lake State Park | Environmental Education & Resiliency Center
This Task Order entails a new Environmental Education and Resiliency Center (The Center), a unique hands-on learning center focused on storm resiliency and environmental management. It will connect the community with the surrounding natural environment, and provide outreach and educational opportunities. Additionally, The Center is designed to act as a “Command Post” for agency staff/agencies to provide local disaster response, and as an information center after an emergency, complete with a generator. It also serves as a monitoring station for water levels in HLSP ponds and lakes, providing important information for water management decision makers during storms.
The 8,000 SF environmentally conscious building design showcases sustainable building practices and construction, with:
- Robust and sustainable exterior envelope optimized to suit local climate demands.
- Conscientious siting and glazing to reduce heating and cooling loads.
- LED lighting with occupancy sensing and daylighting and photovoltaic roof panels to offset electricity energy usage.
- High-efficiency, low/no water plumbing fixtures.
Additional scope of work includes new utilities (electric, water and sanitary), erosion control, survey stakeout, earthwork, excavation and grading to construct building foundations, pile and foundation installation, and sitework improvements for a pedestrian walkway and parking lot reconfiguration.
- Client : Hempstead Lake State Park, Environmental, Education & Resiliency Center Client | NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation Services
- Services : Construction Management, PLA
- Project Value : $8.26M